8/30/2012

Rock en Seine 2012: Review (Part 1)

This year I decided to write a short review of all the concerts I've gone to. Well, this last week I went to Rock en Seine.



Rock en Seine is a 3-day festival which takes place in the Domaine Nationale Saint Cloud, which is a park in Paris (close to Bois de Bologne). This year was special because it was the 10-year anniversary so they it was circus-themed. It was my first time at a music festival and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. One of the really good things of it was that the concerts ended early enough so you were able to go back to the center of Paris using the public transport.

As I said I'm going to write a little review on the concerts I got to see.

Day 1: August 24th.

First day of the festival, it started in the sunshine, but the skies were soon full of menacing clouds. Taking profit of the still benevolent weather I headed to see Citizens! who were a pleasant surprise, they are engaging and full of energy, keep an eye on them I think they have a really bright future ahead. After them I went to see a bit of The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, but unfortunately I cannot tell you much about their set since it started raining, although of what I could hear they are good, after all they were featured in a Heineken comercial. I was really excited to see Get Well Soon because they were playing with the Ile-de-France National Orchestra so I endured the rain and got to listen one of the most heartbreaking performances I've ever seen, I wish they'd do more collaborations like this one with rock bands and orchestras. Finally, the rain stopped and I went back to the main stage to listen to Dionysos, I'm very ashamed, but I have to confess that I had never heard about them before, although I guess it is natural since they are French and usually French indie music doesn't get here, anyway, I fell in love with them when they made their entrance at the music of Star Wars Imperial March and when they played a song that had a chorus that went something like "I feel like John McEnroe", being a tennis lover as I am, I could not stop singing that line. After them it came one of the most anticipated sets, The Shins, I think they need no introduction and also no need for me to tell you to listen to them, their set was brilliant although I couldn't see it all. The reason why I couldn't see it all was because, on the main stage, Bloc Party was about to start, and believe me, if I had known what was about to happen I wouldn't have gone, Bloc Party was a complete disappointment, really, I was kinda excited about seeing them live but it isn't worth it, even if there was some people who were really enjoying themselves. Luckily after them I saw sigur rós, they are not what you'd call rock'n'roll, but I think they did fit in the festival, it was the first time I was seeing them live and it was one of the most anticipated sets, I guess that the best way to describe it would be that watching them live is like watching a force of nature, like a volcano eruption or the sea during a storm, it is terrifyingly beautiful and it doesn't know it, and you can't do nothing but contemplate it. The final set I saw on Friday was Placebo, I knew them but I never actually listened to their songs thoroughly, but I enjoyed the show anyway, I guess that a fan of them would tell you more about it, it was a really good set and it convinced me that I needed to listen more at them.


This is the end of the first day of the festival, I thought I could write everything in just one post, but it's way too long already.

No comments:

Post a Comment